The one bad thing about peaches is that they tend to squish easily. Without fail, I always manage to squash a peach in between purchase and storage in my vegetable box. On Saturday, I arrived home with an extremely juicy peach complete with dent. It looked to be in such a state of disrepair that I decided to use it immediately. Continuing with my experiments using whole wheat pastry flour, I settled on peach muffins laced with ginger and cardomom. Here's the visual:
I will say that these didn't turn out exactly as planned. While the ginger and cardomom were in full presence, the peachy undertone was much more subtle, so subtle that I wished I had added an additional peach to the batter. Next time, next time...regardless, the muffins are still spicy, fruity, and sweet. On the nutritional side, they're not bad, either, coming in at 3 WW pts each.
Here's the recipe I followed:
WHOLE WHEAT PEACH AND GINGER MUFFINS
Approximately 6 very large muffins, or 12 medium muffins
1 Freestone peach, diced with skin
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 tbsp ginger, minced and sauteed until fragrant (crystallized ginger preferred but regular is fine too)
3 tbsp cardomom pods, crushed
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 cup skim milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp light butter with canola oil, melted and cooled for a few minutes
Turbinado sugar, to sprinkle
1. Combine peach, ginger, and cardomom in a blender and puree until smooth.
2. Combine milk and lemon juice; let sit.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, brown sugar and salt in a large bowl.
4. In a separate smaller bowl whisk together the eggs and the buttermilk. Whisk in the melted butter.
5. Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients, leaving adding peach mixture by folding in the end.
6. Fill muffin tins with batter; sprinkle tops with Turbinado sugar.
7. Bake at 400* for approximately 30 minutes. I prefer these slightly underdone, served with a little butter, apple butter, or just piping hot with tea.
Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes
6 days ago